STATEMENT AND GUIDELINES
To drive economic growth and improve quality of life of people by enabling local area development at grass root level with parallel harnessing of technology, primarily focused on the one which leads to Smart outcomes.
Area-based development will transform existing areas (retrofit and redevelop), including slums, into better planned ones, thereby improving livability of the entire city. New areas (Greenfield) will be developed around seven cities in order to accommodate the expanding population in urban areas. Application of Smart Solutions will enable cities to use technology, information and data to improve infrastructure and services in their daily life. Comprehensive development in this way will improve quality of life, create employment and enhance incomes for all, especially among the poor and the disadvantaged, leading to inclusive cities.
Smart City Features
“Transforming this holy city, its tradition and heritage which is a leading derivation for a smart, connected, and eco-friendly communities which can focus on education, research, entrepreneurship, and tourism”
Jalandhar has been amongst the 20 lighthouse cities with a dramatically different approach which is driven by ‘Redevelopment’ rather than ‘Retrofitting’. The model was built on four solid pillars of:
- Promoting mixed land use in area based developments planning for unplanned areas containing a range of compatible activities and land uses close to one another in order to make land use more efficient.
- Housing and inclusiveness expand housing opportunities for all
- Creating walkable localities which will further help in reducing congestion, air pollution and resource depletion, boost local economy, promote interactions and ensure security. The road network is created or refurbished not only for vehicles and public transport, but also for pedestrians and cyclists, and necessary administrative services are offered within walking or cycling distance.
- Preserving and developing open spaces like parks, playgrounds, and recreational spaces in order to enhance the quality of life of citizens, reduce the urban heat effects in Areas and generally promote eco-balance.
- Promoting a variety of transport options: Transit Oriented Development (TOD), public transport and last mile para-transport connectivity.
- Citizen-friendly and cost effective governance by increasingly relying on online services to bring about accountability and transparency, especially using mobiles to reduce cost of services and providing services without having to go to municipal offices. Walking with the times by forming e-groups to listen to people and obtain feedback and use online monitoring of programs and activities with the aid of cyber tour of worksites.
- Giving an identity to the city based on its main economic activity, such as local cuisine, health, education, arts and craft, culture, sports goods, furniture, hosiery, textile, dairy, etc
- Applying Smart Solutions to infrastructure and services in area-based development in order to make them better. For example, making Areas less vulnerable to disasters, using fewer resources, and providing services at resonable rates.