The city of Jalandhar in Punjab has long been home to famous athletes like Harbhajan Singh and Yuvraj Singh in cricket, Milkha Singh in running, and in hockey Surjit Singh, Pargat Singh, Swarup Singh, Kulwant Singh, Captain Manpreet Singh (Captained in Tokyo Olympics-2021) etc. Apart from produced famous sports personalities, Jalandhar is a global hub for manufacturing of sports equipment.
Owing to this sports heritage, it becomes very important to develop multiple sports hubs in Jalandhar city. Considering this sports legacy of Jalandhar, its vision has been set under smart city mission which is :“Healthy and Productive Jalandhar- the leading sports and manufacturing hub in Asia”.
To achieve this vision, under the Smart City Mission, the most important and largest open area for sports in the heart of the city, Burlton Park is now being transformed into a sports hub over 63 acres land owned by Municipal Corporation Jalandhar that was awaited for almost a century.
Total Area to be Developed as Sports Hub:
Project Time Period:
Mode of Implementation:
Tender (EPC Mode)
Project Cost (Cr.):
AS Enterprises, Chandigarh
Work in Progress
Features and Components:
Under this project new infrastructure for multiple sports along with improving existing sports facilities will be developed such as
- Outdoor Sports facilities to be developed: Cricket Stadium, Astroturf/ Synthetic Hockey ground, Football Ground (Natural Grass). Each stadium will have its own pavilion set up separately.
- Multipurpose Indoor Sports facilities to be developed: Sports ground for games including Handball, Basket Ball, Volley Ball, Badminton, Wrestling, Boxing, Weight Lifting Judo, Kabaddi and its related infrastructure will be developed in indoor.
- Other allied Facilities: Admin & Cafeteria Building, Yoga Shed, Skating Rink, Development of Cycle Track, Jogging Track, Up-gradation of Existing Lawn Tennis courts, Up gradation of Entry & Exit Gates, Shopping Complex/ Vending Zone, Road, Footpath and Street furniture, Landscaping and Horticulture, Surface Parking and Boundary Wall.
Benefits of the project:
- It will help the youth to activily take up the sports activities for better health and encourage participating at international and national level games.
- Youth will be encouraged to participate in sports and help them to stay away from drugs menace.
- This project will promote the sports & allied industries
- Once the multi-purpose sports complex is developed in line of Soprts Authorty of India (SAI) standard it will regain its lost international reputation and will be ready to host international matches for various sports.