Under this initiative of JSCL, up gradation of civil work and digitalization work has been done. This is a unique initiative of its kind in Smart Cities in Punjab. This Digital Library provides a Digital Zone in the Guru Nanak Dev Public Library and a web portal (https://shrigurunanakdevlibrary.com) freely accessible for the citizen.
Main Feature of Digital Library:
- Digital Library provides the users access to more than 50,000 e-books, 5000+ premium books in English, Hindi, Punjabi and other regional languages.
- These books use flip reader and simulate the reading pattern of physical book.
- Portal has more than 2000 audio books
- All the books stored in the digital library address the reading and learning needs of various categories of users – Children ( Comic Books), Teens ( Novels), Youth ( Competitive exam Books) , Middle and above Age (Literature, research and legacy archives on glorious history of Punjab.
- This Digital Library has provides access to more than 2500 Indian and International E-Journals for college and university students.
- This digital library has more than 100+ news e-papers and magazines.
- It has educational video repository
- One of the unique feature of this library is a section on Mock Test, which helps the students to prepare for various competitive exams. There is a separate section being developed in this Mock Test for IELTS exams.
Guru Nanak Dev Library, Bhagat Namdev Chowk, Civil Line, Jalandhar
Project Time Period :
Mode of Implementation:
Part-A: PWD and
Part-B: Tender Based Ltd
Project Cost (Cr.):
Part-A: 0.94 Cr.
Part-B: 1.05 Cr.
Part-B: M/s Informatics Publishing Ltd.
I.T Infrastructure (Hardware)
- 20 nos touch screen Desktop Computers
- Local Library Server (1)
- 1-Firewall to protect it from being hacked
- 1 UPS (10 kva)
- Internet Connectivity (2)
- Wi-Fi Modem / Router with cables and accessories (1)
- Server racks
I.T Infrastructure (Software)
- Digital Library Web Portal along with Mobile App
- Open Source Library Management System
- Institutional Repository
- Remote Access Authentication
Benefits to the citizens
- The number of registered users in the digital library has gone up to 4 times after the launch.
- Allow Readers to easily access reading materials on demand.
- People can get information 24 hours, allowing multiple access to an information source.
- Helps library staff to manage existing books/ literature on internet and create archive repository.
- This project can be expanding its initiative for learning to support Padega Bharat, Badega Bharat and Beti Bachao, Beti Padao.
- It can plans to provide access to the Digital Library to all the citizens initially free for six month and then decide to charge a nominal fees to make this library financial self-sustainable.