With the objectives to examine the feasibility of changing the drinking water supply source of the city from groundwater to surface water so as to conserve groundwater resources as much as possible and provide 24×7 canal based water supply to the 100 % population of Jalandhar city.
This work is being undertaken under Atal Mission Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT), however taking advantages of opportunity to converge other central and state government programs/schemes to smart city mission, JSCL has funded about 400 Crore for this project.
Project Cost (Cr.):
Amount Funded under Smart city Mission:
Project Time Period:
Mode of Implementation:
Punjab Water Supply & Sewerage Board
Work in progress
Feature of the projects:
- Intake of water will be taken from Bist Doab Canal using the rising mains of diameter vary from 250mm to 1200mm, underground service reservoir (UGSR) are proposed to feed the Overhead Service Reservoir (OHSR).
The whole project may be executed in two Phases.
- The Phase-1 will covered the works required to cater the 24X7 water supply demand of the town for the 100% projected population of the town for the year 2036 i.e. 275 MLD/ 113 cusecs for 13.87 million people.
- The Phase-II will covered the works required to cater the 24X7 water supply demand of the town for the 100% projected population of the town for the year 2051 i.e. 365 MLD/ 149 cusecs for 18.39 million people.
- Connection to the City’s Distribution System: The surface water supply system will deliver the water in UGSR cum Balancing Tanks located at the scattered locations in the city. From there the water is to be distributed and connected to the existing distribution network in the city through Overhead Service Reservoirs (OHSR). To ensure compatibility between the selected location of the UGSR and the distribution system, it is envisaged to expand the scope of the current study with the preparation of a preliminary design for the required primary and secondary transmission mains in the city. The following sites have been identified for construction of UGSRs in various localities of this town.
- Ensure 24X7 potable drinking water supplies to the 100% of population of Jalandhar
- Extraction of ground water will be minimized and will help in improving the ground water table